View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Everyone sorts theirs differently. Last month I finally organized my stash, refolding everything. Took a couple of weeks. This is what I did: I have Christmas separate. The rest is divided between batiks and regular cottons by color. I don't sort within color families, so I just have all the greens together, not sorted light to dark or by print size. I just looked at the fabric and whatever color seemed dominant, that's the pile it went into. The fabrics that didn't seem to have a dominant color went into a 'novelties' pile. I don't have many of these, but they are mostly florals, some pictoral. I put the neutrals (white, beige, brown, black) on a separate shelf.
I do have some misc fabric "bundles" that I purchased as a group, either several colors, same print, or coordinating fabrics from the same fabric line. Fabrics I purchased to coordinate with a vague quilt idea in mind. I did keep these together. I only have a few of those because most of my purchases were from the sale table .
I didn't stress too much over the categorization... Most of my cuts are at least a yard, so there's enough of the fabric showing for me to find what I want.
I also wanted to say that making quilts for the shelters is a wonderful thing for you to do. Good luck!