View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Geri B

Default Msq wacky web template/periwinkle....

I ordered and rec'd the template after I watched the tute, and also having an antique quilt with same design - done by hand - I wanted one of my own, but faster in creation of same. When I watched the tute I did notice that when putting all four units together the tip on the edge was right there and would be lobed off when putting blocks together. When I called in the order and spoke to whomever, I mentioned that and she said yes was true, but that would only be 1/4" off of each point. In my mind I knew I did not want it that way, but thought I would try and figure it out when the template came. I arrived, and I think I have solved the puzzle of the lobed-off tips...I will do mine this way and will just pass it on in case someone else might be interested.

First, I extended, when cutting out, the templated square off tip to its "own" cut off point--meaning there is now a pointed edge there. I just took a magic marker and drew an arrow down that cut off template, simply as a "note to self".....then when I cut out the side triangles (i cut rectangles)very generously for my samples, just to make sure I was thinking right....so they were 6 1/2" wide x whatever the length is supposed to be...not in sewing area now......anyway then proceeded to sew those sides on.......going all the way to edge of background fabric at the tip and then doing the other side the same way, so that, like a flying geese there is that X where the tip is......NOW, another note to self (very large note, ask me how I now know that) when cutting this from paper pattern, sides are as paper is, BUT that bottom must be 1/4" from that X--that is the critical part, in my thinking, to give the finished star that floating look....because when you then connect these blocks those tips just "kiss" each other from block to block......

So when you turn this unit over onto the right side, the tip of the color fabric is nestled 1/4" into the background fabric.....again, just like a flying geese unit.

I have only made two units so far, and will now go back to sewing cave and do two more and put together to make sure this whole thought of mine is right......If there is something I goofed on, I will come back here and let you know.

Has anyone else here ordered the template for this top from Missouri Star? Just curious.....

If my theory is right, I may tell Jenny about my adaption to her template......