Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Honeynga

Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
If I don't feel like making white cream gravy I use an envelope of Peppered White Gravy that you add 3 cups water to. I use the dried beef in jars, cut in bitesize pieces. I don't add the dried beef until the gravy is smooth. This doesn't need salt....there's plenty in the beef.
We ate this a lot when I was a kid...we were very poor but I didn't know it.....my foster mom would rinse the jarred dried beef because it is SO salty; she would make a cream gravy, lots of black pepper and we would eat it on toast.....takes me back to wonderful awesome memories ! Another childhood memory was when we went fishing, which was often, we would pack our lunch to eat while fishing.....it would be CANNED corned beef (fat and everything), white bread and mayonnaise.....(makes me cringe to think of it, but it was wonderful then); too, we would have vienna sausages out of the can, saltine crackers and yellow mustard ! When I was a kid I thought my foster parents were really really rich because we had iced tea each night with supper/dinner and also had some kind of dessert...might be syrup on biscuits but it counted as dessert !