View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Kate_W

Default Study in Blue. Flowers.

The name of this quilt is “Study in Blue. Flowers.” I made the quilt for my daughter who requested a large blue quilt. (And large means I don't have a full-size photo.)
  • The quilt top pattern is "Ice Cream" from Kaffe Fassett’s Quilt Romance. The fabrics all contain blue flowers and were not pre-washed as I wanted the crinkly antiquey effect from washing after quilting. The quilt was long-arm quilted in a gingko pattern.
  • As DD wanted a large quilt, I constructed side borders by building out strips in the same widths as the quilt pattern. The bottom/top started from a center width strip of 5” x 36”; the right/left started from a 9”x 24” center width center strip. When I was finished adding strips, I cut both 36” and 24” border strips in half. Maybe the second photo has a thousand more words . The finished top and bottom borders added 20” to the length, and the sides added 16" to the width.
  • The four corners were constructed by building out from a single 5.5” x 9.5” rectangle using the same strip widths from the quilt pattern center. When the rectangle was about 24”x 36”, I quartered it. The additional 0.5” to the starting rectangle was to account for the additional seam allowances for quartering.
  • My quilting expert buddy bound the quilt on a train trip out west. How kewl is that? Perfect.
  • Same quilting buddy warned me about stripping a log cabin type pattern. Measure and cut the strip length before sewing. So I cavalierly applied strips, cut off the excess after, and then discovered the waves. Fortunately, Patched Works – the long arm quilter – quilted them out. Yeah!
Finally, this was a fun quilt to construct! And thank you for looking! As always, the Quilting Board rocks!
Attached Thumbnails study-blue.-flowers.-top.jpg   study-blue.-flowers.-side-extensions.jpg   study-blue.-flowers.-quilted-top..jpg   study-blue.-flowers.-quilted-corner.jpg