Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
n2scraplvr

Exclamation How To Create Depth in This Half-Wonky Shoo Fly Quilt

Today we are going to have some fun learning how to create depth in our quilts. I specifically chose this Half Wonky Shoo Fly block because of its nice elements and ease in doing, especially when it's done in a fun wonky style! I just call it 'Half Wonky' because only the 4 corners of it are wonky. The middle column (horizontally and vertically) stay the same size. I like the consistency of that while showing the 4 corners in abstract positions. That's another design element of the block that I like. Not only can you showcase colors in this block, but the shapes play an important part as well! The shapes can also bring out the colors best!

The full wonky style of this block is done in a 'stack 'em and whack 'em' type technique of slicing your stacks of fabrics twice horizontally and twice vertically, and rotating the parts one turn or not rotating at all, and then sewing all parts together.
Yet another technique would be to just slice and dice your blocks individually so each portion would not be exactly like another block as in the 'stack 'em and whack 'em' style.

So today's sample is the easiest of all -- making only the corners wonky!
Attached Thumbnails oddball-fabrics-tog.jpg