Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM
n2scraplvr

PLACEMENT OF BLOCKS:

You will start out making your dark blocks first and placing them on the design wall. After all, these blocks are what are most important in creating that great depth, movement and contrast of all the blocks. Placed strategically in the quilt gives the quilt its focal point, helps the onlooker to see the highlights and an overall impression is gained at first glance. Where you place the blocks determines its theme, success or failure. Let's stagger them on the wall now! As you can see, I've placed my focal point block in the 2nd row mid-section of the quilt. I want this block to be the first block the onlooker will see. I chose this block because of the nice shapes of the corners that really stand out when the 2 fabrics are contrasting nicely. You will also notice that the highest contrast block is placed at the very bottom of the quilt. This was done to highlight the right-hand corner section of the quilt. It's important that the dark blocks are placed some distance from each other. We only have 16 blocks so far so spacing is confining now.

Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg