Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Traditional Quilter

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
My "baby" brother (okay, he's 21) is leaving for Marine Corp boot camp in a week. I want to make him a quilt for graduation, so I've got a couple months to work on it. I bought these fabrics: The first is a 17 in square panel and the second is a patterned fat quarter. I'm looking for suggestions on manly marine-like patterns to incorporate these two fabrics. All help is appreciated!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]397993[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]397994[/ATTACH]
I agree with the other ladies. Use a star pattern. Pick up the red, white, and blue (the blue is so dark it almost looks black) in the Marine logo. Be sure to use the "blood stripe" somewhere in the quilt. The blood stripe is the red stripe on the legs of the Marine uniform. It represents the blood lost in battle. My son just retired from the Marine Corps and I'm finishing a quilt for him. I've tried to download a photo, but I can't seem to get it accomplished. I appliqued the Marine logo onto the center of white fabric. Around the applique, I embroideried the three verses of the Marine Hymn. Around the edge of this I embroideried the name and place of each assignment. This was bordered with a blue, red and another blue stripe with a wide white border with his name, and rank done in trapunto. I started this quilt in February 2011 and have worked on it almost daily since then. My goal is to finish quilting it by May. I have the borders left to do. It was all done by hand. I know you don't have this much time if you want to finish it by the time he graduates from basic training. However, I suggest that you do some research on Marines and reflect that information in your quilt. Marines are a proud breed and there is much tradition in the Corps. Happy quilting and congratulations on having a Marine in the family!

Jane