Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
J Miller

Default Thread breakage, lint and fuzz ........ :(

I'm working on my "All Machines Denim Quilt" again. It got put back while we did the ones for my Aunts.

I've been using each machine as I go to do piecing, and decorating. Well, I've decorated squares with every machine capable of some stitch other than SS except the Bernina 930, Kenmore 158-523, and a couple of the Japanese ZZ machines.
Right now I'm using my 500A with all 23 cams. I know I don't need the cams cos it already has lots of built in patterns that duplicate some of the cams.
However, the stitches made by the cams are just a bit different than the corresponding built in cam patterns, so I just use them anyway.

Now when you are decorating using patterns the machine goes through a lot of thread pretty quickly. So you can't always see a thread splice as it comes from the spool.

Bamm! Broken thread from a spool of Coats & Clarks machine quilting thread. Grrrrrrr ....
I rethread the machine, reposition my work. Do a couple more squares.

Then change colors and get set up again. I like to use light thread on dark denim and dark or bright colored on lighter denim.
So here I am sewing along happily minding my own business ..... BAMMMM! Busted thread. Check it out, another splice. Now I'm getting frustrated.
Rethread the machine, get going again ........... BAMM, not six inches later another bloody splice, but this one actually made it through the needle. A half inch of stitching later though the thread shredded in the needle and broke.
Rethread, finish the square. Really thinking of binning the rest of that spool.

When I went to pull the bobbin out I noticed the whole bobbin case area, hook, and feed dogs were covered with lint and fuzz.

Cleaned out the machine, sending derogatory remarks towards C&C for making such crappy thread.

Changed out the needle, just because. It was getting dull anyway.

So now I'm wondering, is there any thread readily available that is strong, clean, and doesn't have splices in it?
I've got a lot of squares to decorate and three splices from two rolls of thread has me really P.O.'d.

Joe