Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
blueheavenfla

Thank you for thinking of asking this question. I have a Singer from 1889 with the peg and both DH and I wondered about it. Every day I learn something new. I may not comment much but I read every word to learn all I can. Thanks to for the folks with the answer. Yes, Miriam, my peg is quite substantial and I think it would hold the weight of the machine tipped back but am I going to try it??? Not likely since the wood is so old and dry.
Donna
Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Once again I saw a picture of an old coffin top sewing machine cabinet and there is a "peg" on the sewing table right behind the machine's pillar. These pegs appear to be about the size of an old fashioned (no metal spring) wooden clothes pin.

What is this for? I've looked in old sewing machine manuals but have not yet seen this peg in any of the manual's pictures. Could it be for resting the coffin top itself on the peg after tipping the top back on its hinges?

I've also seen many pictures where these pegs are broken off of the tables.

As always, thanks so much everyone for your generous sharing of knowledge! I am so glad to have you all to share my love of this hobby.