Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
CAS49OR

Default Quilting Skills Really Help When Sewing Clothes

I'm new to sewing and quilting. I stumbled into quilting when I was just starting to sew a couple of years ago. I took the class to make friends and use my machine more.

I've sewn about six quilts, and I'm learning to make clothes. I originally wanted to learn to sew so I could make clothes that fit, but got the quilting bug!

I'm sewing a nightgown of gingham seersucker fabric now and find myself using quilting skills.

I set the seams before I press them open, for example.

I just thought of using Elmer's school glue to tack the yoke seam allowance in place until I've sewn over it, instead of pins. (I see the tip often mentioned in piecing discussions here.)

btw, The seam ripper works equally well for both hobbies ... I forgot to iron the seam allowances up so they would be sewn down by the stitching around the yoke. Sometimes I think I spend more time ripping than sewing! Of course I used a pretty decorative stitch, so almost 2 hrs. to remove it.

I used my rotary cutter to cut most of the pattern out! I use quilting rulers and the cutter to trim seams.

I think more quilting skills translate to sewing than vice-versa. What do you think?

I think reading patterns for both can be equally challenging, especially if you don't know the lingo!

Any tips you can think of that will be helpful? I can find many quilting classes in my area, but few sewing classes. I took a beginning class, which prompted me to get my new machine out of the box after three years,
It was a great deal on a Janome, new in the box for $169.00 which has turned out to be a great machine, similar to the Memory Craft 5700.

Oh ......... one thing that was freaky-deaky, the 5/8" seam allowance this pattern calls for, it seems huge compared to the 1/4" used for piecing!