Old 03-02-2013, 02:52 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by conniecz1984 View Post
Templates not my favorite thing to do but I will give it a try. But I am having fun with the blocks.
the .pdf file include rotary cutting tips if that's your preference.
i don't use the templates to cut one piece at a time. i use the templates as guides. i print them out, lay them on the strips of fabric to see how i can squeeze out as many pieces as possible, then start cutting.

if you are using the same fabric for the whole background, just fold your strips in half.
that way you cut pieces B and C at the same time.

where B and C are made using different colors/fabrics, just layer the fabrics so that one is face up and the other is face down. this will also result in having cut B and C at the same time.

the photos below show pieces cut for the January block, but the principal is the same.
i didn't do it on this occasion, but the templates are even easier to use if you iron freezer paper to some muslin (or - better yet - from a fabric in your stash you don't like any more or have left over.) then print the templates on that. when you cut them out, the fabric on the back will keep them from slipping as you lay them down to use as cutting guides.

if you're going scrappy, just stack your fabrics so you don't have to cut one piece at a time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399154[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails stripcutwithtemplates1.jpg   stripcutwithtemplates2.jpg