Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM
WMD926

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
I have sewed clothing almost all my life it's only been in resent years I started quilting. Yes they are different animals all together but at the same time very much alike.
The first thing that I had to get use to was the difference in seam allowances But let me just say this, YOU CANNOT USE QUILTING SEAMS to make clothing and without surging or some other way of reenforcing the seams they will not hold up. The reason is (in my opinion) is that clothing is subjected to a whole lot more stress on the seams. If you use the 1/4" seam allowances on clothing, your clothes will ware out faster and you will not have enough seam left to fix them.
Personally, I like the extra seam allowance on clothes patterns because I could turn them under and stitch them a second time which added strength to all my seams. There is a name for it but I never did know what it was called. It hides all the raw edges in the process as well . Some of the shirts I made my son when he was in the 4H club are still being used by the children today and he is 27 yrs old now. The colors might be a little faded but the shirts themselves have held up nicely.
I believe you are referring to French seams. They do work well. 1/4 inch on the first seam wrong sides together and then 3/8 inch seam on the second seam right sides together.