Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
J Miller

Default What thread do you use for piecing denim quilts?

I am building a queen +/- size quilt from 6" denim squares. I started it last March, and now am working on it full time.

When I started last March I wanted the strongest thread I could get to hold this denim monster together.

After asking some questions back then and emailing Coats & Clarks I chose the C&C Dual Duty HEAVY thread.
This stuff is way heavier than normal thread and some of my machines will not work with it. However it is quite strong, I can wrap it around my hands and pull as hard as I can, but not break it. And it's not overly linty either.

Well, no biggie, I'm doing most of the piecing with the vintage / old / ancient / antique SS machines anyway. Saving the more modern ZZ + patterns machines for decorating. I just finished 50 some pieces done with the Kenmore 117-812, that machine sews beautifully by the way, and the White Dressmaster which also sews beautifully. I could if I didn't have other machines just use those and never have a complaint.

This is the crux of this post. The C&C DD Heavy thread seems to work very nicely in my vintage machines, but past about the 60s when the ZZ machines became the norm they just don't like it.

So what I was curious about is what thread do you use in the "semi modern vintage" machines to do heavy denim things?

Joe