Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 PM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Grant ... looks great, and I agree ... over the top - which was your aim.

You have me thinking sideways about something. My husband and I own a small manufacturing company - we make sowing machines (yes I spelled that right - they're for greenhouses). Our machines are mostly aluminum with black. For our 10th anniversary my husband is having some of the milled aluminum parts black anodized. I've seen the samples and they're lovely. So yeah - now I'm doing a sideways think about black anodized parts on a sewing machine ... hand wheel perhaps. Will have to ask my husband if it's possible - my knowledge of metallurgy is limited to spelling metallurgy.
I might be wanting to do that too. So many neat ideas. Anodizing is something I would love to try on a machine after this project, that is, if this project goes well. Maybe one of those 1950's flat black painted Singer 66's with anodizing the chrome to a Gunmetal color. Now that would be a cool looking Stealthy machine! Maybe one with some red or gold anodized pieces too. OH BOY! You got the wheels turning now!
As far as the parts to be plated, anodizing needs aluminum to bond to it. Whereas Nickel or Chrome need steel. Hmmmm. Most Sewing Machine parts are Steel or Iron. Rarely did they do aluminum. Especially before WW2.
~G~