Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

OK... so I reverse-sewed EVERYTHING!!! and very carefully too, because I had only a 10" square of this print and I had fussy cut every point and square so it would have some green... the majority of the print was a large red flower. I had to wash out all blue fabric marker, dry and press...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]399503[/ATTACH]I guess I shouldnt have said "everything" because as you see I kept those outer sections containing the print squares intact. I traced the block from the book, cut out an 'under section' and marked the top edge of the square and cut a little window there so that I could line up each section evenly. I wanted a little more space above the little squares, so my mark is not in the same spot as the book, but I think a little closer to Jane's perhaps. I will have a little background at the outer edge as well - just not a lot.

I used fabric marker to mark all sewing lines at the upper/inner edges of those under sections and carefully trimmed exactly 1/4" from the edge. Meanwhile, I also carefully traced the center square directly onto the wrong side of my fabric and sewed the points on, starting and stopping exactly at the corners of the square.[ATTACH=CONFIG]399509[/ATTACH]
OOOPs - so sorry thought I had taken a picture of the markings on the under sections and cuts - but I think you can get enough from all other photos to know what I mean...
I next started to machine sew the individual short sections. I also noticed that it really is difficult to get precisely into the corners and the final miters coming out of the points toward the corners of the block. I will sew these by hand later. Here is what I've done so far... I do think it will work! It is a kind of 'faux-thatquilt.com'[ATTACH=CONFIG]399510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]399514[/ATTACH]
You can see I pointed the seam ripper to show my inner corner is not quite finished! But it looks like the finished product will lie flat and I even think it has a bit of the same 'flavor' as Jane's.

The blocks assigned for this week on the schedule are BRC - our first kite! and LS1. I checked out both the thatquilt.com and Aunt Reen sites. Their instructions are similar. I do intend to applique the melon flower and reverse applique the small one on the kite - the embroidered info will have to wait until Jane is done [should have been as diligent as Gladys about keeping my piece info!] As for LS1, I will definitely paperpiece. One of the sites did not have the Y-seam - I think I will avoid it as well. Hope to have something more to show in the next day or so!
Gus
Attached Thumbnails dj-i10d.jpg   dj-i10e.jpg   dj-i10f.jpg   dj-i10g.jpg   dj-i10h.jpg  

dj-i10i.jpg   dj-i10j.jpg