View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anna O
What I have found is that the lower quality fabric fades. I made my grandchildren quilts using lower quality fabrics and they have all faded with repeated washings. I'd say, if you can't afford the good fabric, just wait until you can. The hours of labor and other expenses just aren't worth it. Same for batting. I found the WalMart/JoAnn's batting didn't hold up after repeated washings. My favorite is Quilter's Dream.
I agree. My first two bedsize quilts were made with fabrics bought at JoAnns and they faded terribly and in some places have fallen apart. I was heartsick over it because these quilts were hand quilted and a lot of time and effort went into making them. I swore off JoAnn fabric after that. Ditto for the batting as well. I prefer Hobbs Heirloom batting and warm and natural but my current WIP is Quilter's Dream. It does needle very nicely so far.
I did make a quilt out of nothing but homespuns and for that I did get some Walmart homespun fabric and some homespuns from my LQS. This is a heavily used quilt and it is holding up quite well. So some Walmart fabric is fine. But that is not a choice for me anymore as my local wallyworld has discontinued their fabric dept. Any printed fabric and batiks I prefer to get at LQS and I have taken a chance with on line purchases and have been very satisfied so far. By far, my preference is being able to touch the fabric before buying it but on line purchasing has worked so far, although I have yet to use any online fabrics in a quilt.