Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM
sandyfullmer

Default Excess stash

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I use to not have a stash. I would buy enough fabric for one quilt and just make it. When I was done, I would buy fabric for another quilt and make it. And so forth. Then I started collecting fabric. Now my spare bedroom lost the bed and nightstand and dresser and I put in bookcases and storage units and rubbermaid tubs and two long tables and a long dresser with a rectangular ironing board on top and 4 irons and the closet is plum full of batting and under the tables is full of fabric and everywhere I look is full of fabric. I have fabric from floor to ceiling.

I am not getting any quilting done. I am overwhelmed. I can't decide what to do. Too many choices. I have quite a few BOMs every month and am behind in every one. I have one from last year that I never even started and have all 12 blocks still in their bags.

What can I do? I go into my sewing room and plan on doing a certain quilt, but get sidelined by all my fabric lines and patterns and end up petting and rearranging my fabric and then shutting the light off and closing the door. I so wish I would have just bought enough fabric for one quilt at a time. I gave away so many kits (probably 30) to help me reduce my load, but I end up finding more fabric I just have to have and my room is plum full again.

Help me figure out how I can start sewing again!!
My friend and I sew quilts for Project Linus and are always happy to take donated fabric for that cause. My stash is not large as on a fixed income and unable to buy at today's prices. I use from what I have and save my scraps to teach younger people how to start quilting. Just yesterday, my niece asked if I could show her how to quilt before she invests a lot of money. So there are always people who can use any fabrics you have decided to part with. Quilters are good people at PIF.