View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Sewnoma

I'm still learning FMQ and I felt the same way you did at first. I still can't do feathers or anything super symmetrical - most of my designs are really loopy and ..."creative"... LOL I gave up trying to be perfect and have been focusing on having fun instead. I'm getting better and better and (most importantly) enjoying myself and not stressing out about it.

Gloves definitely help me. Sometimes I draw out a skeleton of where I'm going to go; for the most part I just wing it. I just do one small section (maybe a foot square) at a time and that helps. Plus I don't worry if I cross lines here or there, or have to travel stitch back to get myself out of a corner. That kind of stuff is nearly impossible to spot (especially if you go with a design that deliberately has crossed lines and travel stitching!), and I figure as a beginner I'm allowed all sorts of "sins". ;-)

Check out Leah Day's "Free Motion Project" site. It has really helped me to watch the designs get stitched out, and it's great to see that up close, even the great Leah Day's stitches are a little wobbly and uneven sometimes. Looking at her work shows that it doesn't have to be perfect in order to be stunning!