View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
buslady

Default Quilting and Wrestling, YES!!!

First let me say, I HATE giving up my Sunday sewing to go anywhere! But my grands are more than worth it. We spent all day Sunday an hour from home so we could watch my DGD and DGS wrestle. This is how it works. You find a seat in a very large room, overflowing with people huddled around a big ole mat that has 12 pairs of sweatty kids of all ages working up a sweat. Did I say it STINKS in there!!! Anyway, after you find a seat you watch out in this big crowd for "your" child. Fortunately, my DD wears a very bright pink hoodie to all the meets. Then you try to figure out what mat that child will be on. Then, to your horror, you are on the wrong side of the room and most of the match is just the other side of that group of people standing there yelling for their child to "pin him" or her. DONE!, yes, I said done. Til his next bout which could be an hour or so. So back to the lunch room, where it smells better and is a much more comfortable temperature. Here is where it gets very interesting!!
I'm sitting thre eating a sandwich when what do my wandering eyes see? SOMEONE QUILTING!!! Well, you know us quilters. I HAD to go introduce myself and see what she was making. She had taken a bunch of squares from over the years and made them into a sampler quilt. All different patterns, all different colors, all different memories!! She was putting the quilt in a hoop that must have been 18 inches accross and was spending her time hand quilting the blanket. We talked until it was time for another bout of wrestling and discovered we are "almost" neighbors. We know many of the same people and shop at some of the same LQS. I gave her my pphone and email so we could keep in touch. Funniest part was when I started to tell her about our retreat at Camp Cavell in November, she said one of the men she works with was telling her about this group of ladies that come to camp and quilt. And EAT! That was us. I hope I have found a new quilting buddy.
Did I say, the wrestling match wasn't so bad? Oh, and my DGS will be wrestling at State finals in 2 weeks. he took second place in his weight class. YeeeeeHaaaaa! Sew on!!