View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Ranchwife

Question How much fabric do I need? Help

I am going to town on Saturday, which is 120 miles away, and am going to get fabric for my next quilt. I'm making a double sized quilt that measures approximately 96x110 inches. I am making a log cabin pattern with blocks that will measure 9.5 inches square (includes seam allowance). The quilt should be 11 blocks wide and 13 blocks long. Each block will have 17 different colors of fabrics and each strip is 1.5 inches wide. I found an online fabric calculator which told me that I will need 9.5 yards of 45 inch wide fabric. If I divide that by 17, I end up needing 2/3 yard of each fabric. However, I know that is an average amount and assumes that I'll be using equal quantities of each fabric color. The center square is only 1.5 x 1.5 inches and I'll need 143 squares. The longest strip will be 1.5 x 9.5 inches and again, I'll need 143 strips. I don't want to do the calculus to figure out how much fabric of each color I will need, so I'm hoping someone here can please help me. With fabric being $12.99/yard, and being 120 miles from the quilt store, I can't afford to buy way more than I need, or too little. Thanks. The image below is what the finished square will be like (different colors though).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]399776[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block.jpg