Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Stitch124

Wow -- that sounds awesome! My room is only 11'x11' but I can definitely see doing something like this. Do you have pics you can share?

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
My best advice is to find some used kitchen cabinets on Craigslist that are decent, and paint those. I used base cabinets on 2 ends and had open space between. My DH installed a 10' long countertop from Home Depot on that. Underneath, he built open shelves to hold the large totes, patterns, etc. I put velcro on the front and hang a curtain off that...the 'soft' side of the velcro is on the curtain. That way I can pull it off and wash it periodically, or take it off altogether if I need to re-organize, etc. Over this set up DH installed a set of wall cabinets at each end of the counter, and again, built open shelving in between. All was painted dove white, and I put my clear shoe boxes full of misc things on the open shelving. DH then took 1" x 5" boards and built a long skinny open shelf under the wall cabinets. There is tons of room for little storage cabinets, CD's, folded FQ's, etc. He installed a set of 3 Ikea mini flood lights that shine down on my countertop, so that's where I iron, cut, etc. I have a small ironing board (12" by 30") that I put up on my cutting matt when I need to iron, its quick and handy. The opposite wall is chock full of Ikea wall shelving, and the 2 end units have glass doors. The center cabinet is skinny (maybe 14" wide) which holds all my books. Between I have an antique crank table that holds my machines, and on the end under the window is my oversized chair & foot stool, to watch telly when hand sewing. It works, and other than the Ikea cabinets, most everything was here already, dirt cheap or free. Funny what a coat of white paint will do to unify everything!