Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Rainforest_elf

Default Vintage Six Point Star (60 degree diamond) block/Help!

Alright, I've really done it this time. I'm in a pickle and I need some help to finish a quilt I've invested a lot of time and money into.

I saw this beautiful quilt on pinterest, and knew it was the perfect vintage look for my next project, and best yet, it looked pretty easy. http://countrycrossroadsquilters.com...um-287x383.jpg

From the research I've done online, this sort of quilt has several names, most commonly a six point star using 60 degree diamonds. Am I right or am I right? Ha. I immediately set to work cutting up my diamonds in teals and browns and whites. This weekend I wanted to start making my squares. I knew my quilt wasn't going to look exactly like the one in the picture, so I planned on a 12x12 block with my stars surrounded by white.

Frankly, the machine six point star tutorials I've found online (only two) have sucked major, and I spent 6 hours trying to make ONE block. I am not a patient person, so this was very, very frustrating for me. I started following one tutorial, which in my opinion had a lot of waste on it in regards to the white background against the stars, so after fiddling with it for awhile, I gave up on it and just started messing around with it on my own.

Big mistake. I decided to just sew the star first. And man was I excited when that was done. Everything lined up perfectly! This is a huge victory for me, because I suck at seams!

But then my new problem was/is, how do I connect my white space to my now completed star? Is there an easy way to do this without a huge amount of waste in fabric? I'm hoping this makes sense. Sorry for rambling. Let me know if I need to clarify anything, I need assistance!!

you'll see in the first picture how many white diamonds the tutorial I was using suggested I use. Thats a LOT for something that's just eventually going to be squared up, don't you think??
Attached Thumbnails img_8672small.jpg   img_8666small.jpg