Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM
dray965

Default question: straight stitch using hopping foot

I have purchased a Bailey Pro 15" with a sit-down table which hasn't arrived yet. No...I won't be using a frame, but will using it like a regular domestic machine that has it's feed dogs lowered. I will be using the foot pedal to control the speed. I'll practice for a while before I quilt on something 'nice' but I already have a question that's worrying me.

The quilt that I'm eager to quilt using it has channel stitches as part of the quilting that I'm going to do on it. I will also need to stitch-in-the-ditch. The quilt is a queen and too big for my 6-1/2 inch throat on my Bernina (which is why I bought the Bailey in the first place).

So how am I to do that on the Bailey? I did a search on this board for the answer and someone had said that you couldn't do a stitch-in-the-ditch on a long/mid arm machine. Oh no...surely not...if not how are they handling that? How are they straight stitching?

I read that you have to use a ruler to straight stitch...is that right? CrimeanWar, that means I have to buy something else? <sigh> Seems like it never ends. LOL

My set-up will be the Bailey Pro 15" and a Bernina Activia 240. I planned to quilt on the Bailey and piece tops on the Bernina.

Remembering that I will be sitting down and using the foot pedal, can someone give me best advise on how to handle what I need to do?