View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Hmmmm. I hadn't even thought about there being a diffenrence in batting. I recently bought some thinner cotton batting (it was off a huge roll) at JoAnn's to make a comforter with. It will just be a sheet on one side, Michael Miller fabric on the other (just huge pieces - not quilted) - and I was going to hand tie it. Am I going to have problems??
I think that thin cotton batting that is not needle-punched and without scrim probably doesn't hold up well to tying. My favorite batting is Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton, which is fairly thin and not needlepunched, and it is recommended to be quilted about 2" apart. If this type of batting is tied far apart, I would think it would separate and ball up into lumps every time it was agitated in the wash.

If I were going to tie a quilt, I would probably use Warm n Natural (needlepunched through a scrim) or perhaps Quilters Dream (haven't used it, but I think it is more blanket-like). I think WnN can be tied 6 inches apart with no problem, maybe more.