View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
brendaj8689

Oh my....Believe it or not, you will one day miss those long days. My son wrestled. Long long Saturday's spent is horrid smelly gyms. Long Northern Mi rides on bad country roads (because when you live in the country schools are far apart, driving 3 or 4 hours was normal) with bags full of teen age sweat soaked clothes....Too cold to drive with the windows open.
Yes, I quilted on those long Saturdays. I would take my quilts for hand binding and stitch away while waiting for my son's turn to come up. I also knitted. I was a very nervous wrestling mom at first and had to keep my hands busy, I had a skein of red yarn that was knitted and taken apart so many times......During the holidays I often did various hand crafts, ornaments and such. I remember one year, was making snowman ornaments. I would have the wrestlers waiting for their turn stuffing little white yoyos for me. (by this time I wasn't so nervous and the guys were kinda afraid of me). By my son's senior year I was the mom screaming and demanding he do his best or don't bother..... I also bossed the other guys around.....they learned to stand still during the National Anthem....They learned to be there when the team mates were on the mat, not off goofing around. I was that mom.
Yes, he went to states and got me that medal. Even at state competitions at the Palace, I had hand sewing with me. Have to say though, Saturday's hand binding a quilt was always my favorite.
That stinky wrestler went on to wrestle for the Marine corp..... He is still a Marine but now does MMA. If you think wrestling is rough to watch, just wait. When ever I bind a quilt, knit a stitch or do some hand sewing, I think of stinky Saturdays in gyms.