View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by k3n
I use straight grain too but across the WOF - it's a tad weeny bit more stretchy than the length so sits more nicely. I'd say jelly rolls would be perfect for a scrappy binding. I'd join them on the bias then fold them raw edges together and right side out. The only 'tools' you need are an iron and your own two hands! Oh, and a can of spray starch. :D
i use the length of the fabric exactly for the opposite reason. it pulls the quilt into the correct measure and doesn't stretch out of shape.
Tiffany

butterflywing wrote:
i don't know what others do, but i cut my binding on the straight grain, unless i specifically want diagonal stripes for the effect they give. the straight grain makes a much squarer and flatter quilt edge, imo.

Tiffany wrote:
Do you miter the corners on your binding? If so, how well does that work with the binding cut on the straight edge? I know it is like a quilting commandment that if you miter corners you need bias cut binding, but I can't help but wonder if it would work just as well with straight cut binding.

butterflywing answers: i have always mitered the corners. well, not always, but mostly. it works just fine. i especially do it on wrap-around bindings.