View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
chattyK

Originally Posted by katier825
You may notice a difference in the piecing stage if you mix the lesser quality with the good stuff. I had one print that I got at Walmart that was a perfect match for a quilt I was making. It didn't feel as nice but the color was perfect so I used it. Everytime I got to a section with that fabric, it stretched and distorted a bit more than the other fabrics. I had to ease a lot of fullness in on that one print. It wasn't as noticeable by the time I got through, but I hated handling it. It would have been even worse if I had a different pattern with more triangles. Luckily most of mine was squares and I didn't have to handle it too much. I haven't bought any fabric at Walmart since that experience.

Once you get to know the quality of a particular manufacturer, you can shop online and get a decent price. I have bought the same names/quality online for $4-7/yd that I can get in the quilt shop for $8-10. I still buy at the shops too. I try to spread my business around a bit. I like them all and would hate to see any of them go out of business. :D
katier185 has a good point about piecing different quality fabrics. Experience has taught me that if you starch the "less" fabric before cutting, and then if necessary before piecing you can control the stretching somewhat.

As for telling the quality of fabrics, after a while you will be able to tell by the feel. As for JoAnn fabric, I have found that the bolts that sell for 8.99 are indeed far superior to the 3.99-6.99 bolts. When using the less expensive product I pre-wash and check for color fastness and shrinkage.

I'll admit that not so long ago I was a Quilt Fabric Snob. But after contracting to teach Quilting at JoAnn's I have had the opportunity to be around their fabric. I realized that some of their fabrics are actually really nice. The chain is trying out, bringing in lines of fabric. instead of just having a wall of color segregated fabrics. I have used their New Legacy line and it's pretty nice. I also like (actually love) their Stone Hill fabrics. But that is just me.

There are 4 LQS in my area and their prices are getting outrageous. They are charging from 9.99 - to 14.99. I hope this is not an indication as to how prices across the board will be. 2 years ago these same shops were priced from 6.99-11.99

Just my 2 cents worth, hope someone finds it helpful.