View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM
MargeD
Power Poster

I started out making very "controlled" quilts with each block matching and color coordinated. Then my "inner quilter" decided to make a quilt for a family reunion that was behind held at my house. Being bold, I asked them to send fabric in their family color (the previous reunion, each family wore the same colored T-shirt so that my long-lost uncle from CA could tell who belonged to whom. Colors ranged from black, red, orange, purple - you get the idea, so I really had to "let go" of my very "controlled/coordinated) quilts, use colors I wouldn't normally use. I've lost count of how many reunion quilts I have made, with family members sending fabric in a color I choose (although some "free spirits" chose not to comply), and I have come up with some very beautiful scrappy quilts. My favorite was when I asked for blue fabric I wound up with blue fabric, mostly in the bright, medium blue and I made the "best quilt I'd ever made" to use my one brother's words, who also wound up winning the quilt. I'm challenged to make a beautiful quilt in an assortment of colors, fabric, etc. and I've become a better quilter because of it.