View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Rose S.

Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
Singer made a good product for years. Unfortunately that time has passed. I grew up using Singers and when I was married in 1969 my husband bought a Singer sewing machine for his gift to me. Had nothing but problems with it. Every time I used it it would have to go back to the service guy and finally he got tired of fixing it and completely disassembled and reassembled it. He found it had been put together wrong at the factory and did work better for a time but still too many problems. I got so frustrated with it at one point that I took it out to the field behind the house and blasted it with my husbands shot gun. Most satisfaction I ever got from it! Have never and will never own another one which was manufactured after the 1960's. I now own my Mother's vintage Singer 301 and have never had one problem with it. My Viking Designer SE was the replacement for the wedding present and has never given me a problem either. I have owned Janome also and would recommend them also.
Good for you! When we were first married in 1976 ny hubby went and bought me a Kenmore sewing machine. At that time I was working full time and didn't try to sew much. Had some troubles with it but always thought it was something I was doing. Then I had a few years off when I did not work and that machine...I still regret not taking a sledge hammer to it. I put it in Good Will and have felt guilty about it every since. Tried to hem a cotton shirt for my daughter, worked about an hour trying to get it to sew, ended up sewing it by hand...that is when I decided to do what my husband kept after me to do and that was buy a good machine...by then it was about 1991 and I got Pfaff Tiptronic 1171....that machine would and still would sew anything. But not good for free motion quilting in my opinion. Just not enough room to the right of the needle.

I bought a used Viking #1 for the embroidery stitches...and then a few years ago I bought a Juki 98Q and absolutely, totally love that machine even though it is straight stitch only...and now if I ever got another fancy stitch machine I would check out other Jukis. My daughter has my Pfaff...just cause I wanted to keep the Viking for the fancy stitches...not that I use them much. But also, that Pfaff just always sews...felt like she would never have problems with it.