Thread: treadle tension
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 AM
ruby2shoes

Rightio...first things first....I do like the idea of them there widgets...gonna make me some of them thingys.

So I took poor treadle to this really nice bloke who it turns out, is a 3rd generation sewing machine man. It took him just on an hour to get the tension sorted so as sure as God made gooseberries, there is no way I would've ever got it right. Problems included: 1. Grit and gunk stuck along the groove the needle slides down once it is under the plates. This was deflecting the needle causing scratches and grooves along the shuttle which in turn was fouling the thread on its' little journey. The shuttle, as suggested to me in a previous post, needed to be smoothed and polished to allow clear travel. 2. Upper tension spring was stretched out of "round" and was impeding the screw being able to travel effectively along the split pin to alter tension.
Once these 2 issues were addressed my wonderful, wonderful, newest best friend was able to get the tension right...man he worked so fast and so confidently, tweaking here, a quick tweak there, back and forth, back and forth until at last the clouds parted and the sun shone! I watched him like I was trying to learn brain surgery..reckon I'll stick to the Janomes' tension....mmmmm comfortable territory there, but I certainly found the whole process fascinating. And now my dear treadle is holding court in my loungeroom looking just beautiful and content!!

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 03-07-2013 at 02:35 AM.