Thread: I Cannot Bind!!
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 AM
maviskw

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
if you are using a 1/4" seam to attach the binding to the first side- when nearing a corner stop- place a dot (pencil works) 1/4" from the corner on the binding fabric- then stitch right to that dot- stop- raise the pressure foot (with the needle down) turn the quilt so you can stitch a diagonal line off the quilt/binding...stop, cut threads, remove quilt. fold binding fabric straight up- then back down-lining up the raw edges again- start sewing the second side-starting at the 1/4" dot...continue around the quilt stopping & folding each corner-
now- when you fold the binding to the other side to stitch down when you reach a corner fold one side straight - then fold the second side forming your miter.]
try it on a small practice piece (like a pot holder) to get the hang of it
Practice makes perfect. But there a few things here that I do differently. First, if your binding is going to be 1/4 inch, you need the binding a little wider than 1/4 inch times six. We need to make allowance for the thickness of the quilt. I usually sew the seam about 3/8 of an inch from the raw edge.
When you get the corner, it's very important to stop exactly on the spot that is the same distance from the edge of the edge of the quilt as the seam allowance you are using. Sometimes I have to lift the presser foot and back up half a stitch so I don't go over that spot. Then I sew on a diagonal into the corner. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE YOUR QUILT OUT OF THE MACHINE! I leave the needle DOWN at the very edge, the tip of the corner. If you have a little excess backing and batting here, that helps. Now with the needle down, turn the quilt so that you will be sewing down the next side. Now is when you do the folding of the binding; straight up and then straight down. The presser foot is a little in the way, but if you know what you are doing, you'll get around it. When the folds are all ready to be sewn, lift the needle and move the quilt over to the seam line and sew. I sew from the top. No threads to cut and no new seam to start with bunched up threads! You have just a seam's width of loose threads there, and they can stay there.