Thread: wonky block
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Sierra

When I was typing the response above DH came in and told me I had 10 minutes before leaving for the doc (I've had surgery recently). I panicked and didn't put in or clarify what I wanted to tell you. Much of this is repetitious, but it is better put together. So sorry about that!

To do a wonky border for around a center straight block you need to have two border fabrics to cut and sew together. Sometimes it works to make the original center block wonky also, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do here. When I make wonky (and I do pretty often) I sew the color strips I want together, then cut the border the way that looks best to me, leaving one edge straight and the other at an angle, but the finished square exactly the same size as the others in the quilt. If you plan to use sashing you can cut it wonky also, but this is much harder than having blocks that end up the same size but with a wonky look. It's important to NOT make them all the same cut if you want a free wonky look.

You could also do the center straight blocks but first put thefinished center blocks in the order you want on a design wall or a table. Then make rectangles of, say 3" x 5" each (for the tops of 5" unfinished squares and 3" x 6" for the sides (or mix up which way you want to do it, but you need to add one way to make the wonky large enough) using fabrics from you stash, put them face to face together and cut them on a diagonal (remember to add 1/2" for the two seam allowance, for connecting to each other and to the block), and when you make your rows, either up and down or size ways the effect will be wonky. I've never done this before (it takes careful planning and I would have the pieces laid out to help ensure they end up right since the edges have to be the ones that go together).

Do a practice one using paper to see how you thing you might want to lay out the wonky frames.

I can't put a photo on but if you pm me with your email address I will send you a photo or two of what I'm saying. This might seem daunting, but after doing about 3 edges you'll find yourself on a roll! It adds a lot of movement to a quilt!!! I do hope this helps more than confuses.

Last edited by Sierra; 03-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.