View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
It is 18" repeat so I'm going to get 9.5 yards to do 3 sets. I'm also thinking of getting the fabric for the back so that on the front you have the obw and on the back the original fabric.
ITA with the others that this could work well for OBW. Also, for a SAW (8 pc Kaleidos) which could take you from the muted look into a little more drama, if you chose to set it up with one of the darks.

Many will tell you no, as it doesn't stick to the "rules"!! But who follows rules? Traditionally we are told it needs to have movement, it should not have straight lines, it should not be a small pattern ..... and yet, there have been some impressive OBWs done with all the rules broken!

If you have any hestitations, a good way to try it, is to take a strip just the width of your triangles down the side of your 6 (or 8) repeats, and stack them up to make your first hexies. That way, if you don't like it, you have only lost a few inches of your fabric, and would be able to salvage the bulk of the yardage for a different project.

Of course, I like your idea of the back of your quilt being the virgin fabric, (see link below)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-08-2013 at 09:47 AM.