Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Sierra

You'll love Alaska! Here is what I can tell you...

1) Even in Anchorage you can't let small pets stay in the yard because of eagles!

2) There are great quilt shops, even in the smaller towns. They tend to feature fabrics that will always remind you of Alaska! One of my favorite is in Kenai and it features applique patterns done by the daughter of one the people that works there... very Alaskan, very unique! I know kenai because that's where our son and family are.

3) Anchorage has some museums which feature Alaskan like art, which we found to be really wonderful. I imagine that they have good and not as good shows, but they are small and worth going to. Go to the Visitors' Center and find out.

I presume you are driving up, and if that is true consider taking the Cassier up (at Prince George turn West onto the Yellowhead (?) highway for a few hours). We always go up that way and down the AlCan (where you have to stop and experience Laird Hot springs! wonderful in every way). A mile or two past the junction of the Yellowhead and Cassier, on the left all by itself, is the best, more reasonable native craft shop you will find. The wife of the couple that own it is an artist and is a first nation person and her native friends influenced her to put their things in also. Incredible stuff! Also, long before you get to the junction there is a fantastic recreated Indian village, long houses, totem poles, hand carved canoes... very unique and worth while. There is another totem pole village soon after you turn onto the Cassier to the right, and another off to the west. Of course, if you are driving you'll have the current MILE POST handy. The Cassier used to be an iffy road, but they have it all paved, straightened out, a beautiful drive. ENJOY!