View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Caswews

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Since you want tried-and-true recipes, I submit this recipe that I just recently tried. I've made it three times now. It makes a lot, and I love it. My DH is a bit of a picky eater, and he likes it, too. Best wishes to you and your DH. [I have two vegetarian DDs, so I don't add any chicken. I think dark chicken meat as suggested might be more "Moroccan", but chicken breasts would be healthier of course.]

Moroccan Red Lentil Soup
6 servings
2 T. olive oil
2 large onions cut into medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin, preferably ground from fresh whole seeds toasted in a dry skillet
1 tsp. ground turmeric (or dry mustard)
½ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
7 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 20 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried red lentils, washed and rinsed
Pinch red pepper flakes
Juice of 1 lemon
3 T. fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika cinnamon, salt and pepper and cook for another minute. Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Pour into a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir in lentils, cover the cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low, until lentils are tender. Stir in the pepper flakes, lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.

Option: Before sautéing the onion, sauté 1 pound boneless, skinless dark chicken meat cut into ½ inch pieces, in the oil until browned. Add the onion to the pan and proceed with the recipe.
Oh thank you DJ: Printed and on the recipes for this week. We love Red lentils .. thank you very much !!