View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 AM
CarolynMT

Originally Posted by sassey View Post
I have had a couple diffrent one that were around 20 they were not worth 1 in my opinon took way to long to get out wrinkles. The ones that are more expensive work somewhat better but you can use a team iron and do it faster
Steamers are mainly to steam out light wrinkles, they do not work well for "pressing" out wrinkles. They work wonders on knits, silky fabrics, poly's etc. Cottons to a point and most "wrinkle resistant" fabrics. I have one, and use it a lot. I have steamed my curtains on the rod much nicer than ironing them. I also use it to steam my couch/chairs in living room, mattress, and pillows. It works great for those. Much better than using a chemical to mask smells.

I tried to use it on a quilt back, but I really needed the heat and pressure from using a flat steam iron. The one issue I have with the steamers is there is nothing to press against, I often lay my sweaters on the bed and steam them.

So, for general clothing and extras like furniture/curtains, it works wonderfully and I strongly recommend it. For quilting fabrics and other 100% cottons, better off with an iron (btw, if you go to amazon and search for the steamers, then read the reviews you will learn alot, the steamer directions specifically state they are not good for all cottons)