View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Hi QG!

It sounds like your daughter's quilting machine is a long arm?? Easiest is to take the quilt top, batting and backing to her place and load it on the rack with her assistance (best to have someone show you, as I suspect many racks don't all work the same). No pinning or basting involved with that! Plus you get to spend some quality sewing time with your daughter!

If you want to quilt on your macine at home you put the top back and batting together with safety pins and let er rip, taking out the pins as you get ready to quilt an area.

The sandwiching procedure is my least favorite part of quilting. When you don't have a rack set up you have to lay your back out wrong side up. Tape it to the floor so it is stretched taut. If you are lucky you may have access to big oversize tables (like a community center or church hall) so you don't have to use the floor. Then lay your batting on top of the backing. Then lay your top over all right side up. Then you have to baste it all together. Traditionally, if you are quilting by hand in a lap hoop you baste with needle and thread. But I almost always use safety pins, even when hand quilting. I'm sure others will have other suggestions. This is how I do it.