Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
AngelinaMaria

Default Log Cabin Block--What are Pros/Cons of pressing seams open or to one side??

I am planning my first log cabin quilt and would like to hear about other quilter's experiences about pressing seams. I am planning to cut my logs 1.5 inches wide (so finished 1 inch wide). This is probably a medium size log (not as narrow as .5 inches but not as wide as the 2 inches I see on some log cabins) but still gives you a pretty narrow strip to work with.

I am traditionally a press to one side gal as I really rely on this technique to match up seams. However, there won't be any seams to match up so I can really go either way on this.

I am thinking that there will be less distortion if the seams are pressed open. Just wondering if my thought process was correct and if there are any cons to this?? Anything else I should be thinking about? I'm still finishing up my Omigosh quilt and am really looking forward to my next quilt. Ironically, it will be a rainbow log cabin so I still haven't shaken the "rainbow" attraction.