Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

sewNso - that is a very loaded question!!
as for sewing.... I have a queen size girls quilt that needs to be quilted for a dear friend's daughter who will be three at the end of the month. It started out as a twin, having to add to it took a bit of time when she was moved into a real big bed!! I have a McKenna Ryan -"Forest Hollow" that I am needle turning, All Around the Town - Sue Garman BOM that I m just now starting ....well have 7 of them done & may put that in Guild show in Sept. The 2009 quiltshow.com quilt needs to be quilted... a real important quilt for my very dear daughter - who has been waiting oh so patiently! I have to still get going on it - designing a quilt with her birds on it. Affairs of the Heart, which I started here before Jane has half the blocks done - 6" blocks [my avatar is one of them]. Then there's taking care of a DGS or two once-twice a week which is a joy! going to docs all too often for DD, thinking about writing a book about the legal and technical aspects of the health care system - sort of a self-help guide. I am an atty - but passed bar right when my DD got sick, my Mom had major heart attack and ended up is skilled nursing and my DS and wife had first of three DGS - so never practiced. Gardening is something I really really need to start as the yard is a mess now and DH works all the time and really doesnt have the time to tackle it all....

well now back to Jane progress.. [maybe this is doable before guild show??? I hope - averaging one a day for the last three weeks! YAY]

Where to begin... [you got me a little off track ] First here is a picture of this week's three on the fabric I decided to used for sashing. It looks a little darker than it is. I put three other blocks below it to give a better idea. I am thinking of making the sashing 3/4" finished rather than 1/2" ... still time to decide.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401160[/ATTACH]
J1 & 2 were done earlier, J5 is almost finished - you can see the pins. I will show you a little of my approach as it is slightly different, but I found very easy! I cut a 2" print square for the center and surrounded it with a 1" cut background strip all the way around - sides then top/bottom. I made a template of the four background pieces and cut them as if those four print 'arrows' were not there. I attached them by machine only to the center 1- 1 1/4" of the sides and I stitched together only the last 1/2" - 3/4" of the diagonals/miters. I made a template of the arrows and as I had said in an earlier post - I decided that Jane made these pointy, not curved. I transferred the pattern with fabric marker both to the print arrows and the background - carefully holding the miter in place. I needle-turned the point on the border strip up to the corner of the center square, tucked the arrow under flat, on a flat surface - I pinned the pieces in place and then continued to needle-turn the arrows in reverse-applique fashion.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401162[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401163[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dj-mar10.jpg   dj-j5a.jpg   dj-j5b.jpg   dj-j5c.jpg