Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Christine-

Default Manager from JoAnn responding to LQS owner

Originally Posted by merridancer
The best quality fabric comes from Japan and South Korea, not China, Pakistan or India. Your LQS normally purchase from Japan and South Korea where the fabric is much better woven, both tighter and thicker, the prints are clearer and the metallic fabric is awesome. South Korea and Japan, first world countries with higher labor costs, have higher standards for their fabrics, so I know that anything purchased from those countries will be exceptional.
The manufactures that sell to the LQS, generally don't sell to Joannes. There is one manufacturer that does, except that the fabric sold to Joannes is printed in China and the good stuff sold to LQS is made in South Korea, thus there is a price and quality difference.
Meredith, Beautifulquiltfabric.com, Beautiful Quilt Fabric, San Dimas, California
Meredith is correct! JoAnn's fabric is not the same quality as LQS fabric. JoAnn quilt fabric, even their best quality fabric, is not the same high quality as you can find at the local quilt shop. The LQS is a step better than JA's best. I know this because I worked there as a manager. I'm retired now, but a local quilt shop is your best bet.

And I can tell which is which in my stash, even though it's all interspersed by color. If I'm buying fabric for a utility quilt, one that will be drug through the yard by a kid, maybe dry off the dog, then I'll use JoAnn fabric. I've been making 6 Civil War quilts during the last year and LQS fabric was used, since I needed reproduction fabrics to make them, something JA doesn't carry. When I make American Hero quilts I use LQS fabric because they'll be put through the washer, placed on wounds that bleed, etc. And I want those quilts to stand up to abuse.

It's all in the eye of the beholder really. Use what you think is best for you.