View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by Damkina
This is great. I absolutely love scrappy quilts and have been wanting to make one myself.

Problem is, when I got out the fabric, I only sat thinking about it and colour placement for too long instead of getting on with it... put the fabric back and got on with something else.
Thank you, Damkina! Scrappy quilts are wonderful, lots of fun too! The best way to overcome your color planning is don't plan your colors; just let it happen. Begin by sorting your scraps into two bags; one for the darks only and one for the lights only. Start there with just darks and lites. Use your darks and lites as leaders/enders and b4 you know it, you'll have all your dk/lts paired up for a 4-patch or 9-patch project! Then with more practice, you'll be introducing your medium fabrics in; then your med/dk fabs; then your med/lt fabs in. After you've done those, you'll be throwing in your lg. scale with med. scale and mini scale altogether! That's what makes a scrappy quilt successful. You need contrast of dks and lts, but you also need a blend of different size scale prints in there also. It adds lots of interest. You will love putting scraps together after you get the hang of it. After awhile, you'll see that "everything goes together anyway" and you won't even think about color~! Hope this helps you out the next time you go for a scrap project as well as those who are reading along right now feeing just like you about a scrap quilt. Here's to your success and happy scrap quilting!! :wink: :lol: :wink: