Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
One of mine has the same issue. The paint itself is spotty, like it has chicken pox or something!
Mine looks like it had the chicken pox a month ago - sort of like the healing up stage of it or something. The machine works fine - just looks a little sickly.

The grand daughters came over today. I had a little Singer Spartan 327 I was going to let them use. I guess I cleaned on it but noted it needed to have the tension tested. Well, it needed the shaft/post thing removed and replaced. So my DGD says, "I'll never work on a sewing machine, Grandma." I told her she better be prepared to pay $50 - $75 an hour to have someone else do it because sewing machines need work a lot of the time. So she helped me replace the post. I let her use the screw driver - she wasn't up for more just yet and I wasn't either at that point. We got the part off a T&S and had to figure out where the set screw was. It was the first one I'd seen from the top. Got it all adjusted and it sews like a dream. Good little machine. I also gave her the option of using a different machine. She freaked out - "I only know how to sew on my Singer Spartan." (I tried to graduate her to a ZZ) Anyway I told her once you tried a few you learn about any of them after a while. She freaked again when I told her I could work all of the ones I have.

DGD has been working on a quilt. She doesn't like things too mixed up/scrappy - she made 9 patches with 2 colors each - 4 & 5 then she wanted a sash around each so they don't touch something else. I think the poor kid needs to see some Amish type quilts. sheesh. She has 3 more pieces to assemble and she will have the top pieced! Maybe someone has some ideas how she can quilt it easily. I will be sure to post pics of her and her quilt once she gets it done. IMHO it is ugly and too small but she likes it.

The other little gal wants to do 4-H so I got her started on a project that involves threading a needle, tying a knot and doing a running stitch. It took her about an hour to gather up a 7 inch piece of lace, sew on a bow and a button and sew it onto a pony tail tie. But she was happy. She has some vision problems so she doesn't use a machine yet. She was counting the times she picked her finger - 12 times. But I told her it only counts if she bleeds.