Thread: Chain sewing
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Ranchwife

Question Chain sewing

I am going to be starting a log cabin quilt tonight. If I cut out all the "logs" that will be 2040 pieces. When I made my log cabin small table runner, I became very frustrated because for some reason, my block ended up being 1/8 inch larger than the log that we being sewn on and I ended up having to stretch the fabric to make it fit. I have no idea why this happened as I was very careful cutting the pieces and sewing them at 1/4 inch. I found these directions where you only cut the center squares to start with, sew them to the next log that is still one big strip, then cut apart the pieces after you chain sew them. I'm liking this idea a lot as it will save gobs of time cutting. The only thing I worry about is if the squares will end up being different shapes based on my previous experience where the square was about 1/8 inch bigger than the next log. What do you all think? Is this a good idea, or should I cut all 2040 logs? I've got a log of money invested in fabric for this quilt and I don't want to mess up - this is my first "big" quilt so I'm still learning. Thanks!