View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM
frudemoo

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Another point is that there is even a difference in operation between two of the same machine. I have two of the W&W #8's and they sew differently even using the same treadle base. I believe this is due to the handcraft nature and constant mid model "improvements" that they went through during this development era.
Wow, that's fascinating Steve. I can definitely appreciate how the handmade or hand-adjusted quality would make a huge amount of difference. Just yesterday I was tiling with my dad and we were both doing exactly the same thing... but you could see the difference in sections where I worked compared to where he worked even though it was same tiles, same spacers, same method.

I'll definitely keep that in mind about the thread and then I suppose if I have the opportunity to try them both out thoroughly I will, except that the distances are not very convenient, unfortunately. I'm a bit put off by the mismatched drawers on the Standard machine. Maybe I should keep an eye out for a Willcox & Gibbs!