View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM
petthefabric

Here's my 2 cents. Cutting mats are OLFA. For most cutting I use the unmarked side. Less time to just lay the fabric down, then trying to line it up. Also, this saves the markings for when cutting very long strips. The rulers have the markings for inches, etc. Martelli mats were mentioned-I'll look for that at the next show.

Rullers: my go to brand is Creative Grids for the size of the marking lines, non-slip feature and the extra 1/2" on the size of the rullers. First size is 8 1/2" x 24 1/2". This allows a longer line to get the cross cut from the fold very accurate. Also, I use the "Power Cutting" method and get more cuts before having to start over. Second is 4 1/2" x 12 1/2". Then, although it isn't used often, I love the 20 1/2" sq for squaring the quilt after being quilted. Another choice is the 2 1/2" x 36 1/2" for cutting binding.

More on rullers: The "Power Cutting" method for 1/2 sq triangle and setting triangles is very accurate. It requires special rullers by Omnigrid 96, 96L, 98 & 98L. When PP, a 12" "add a quarter" is very helpful. I love hexegons so I have 3 sets of those and equilateral triangle. I have a whole lot more that were added as I had a special need.