View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I used to feel the same way as you, but as I have quilted my way through many quilts, I have gained the experience needed to feel good about what I do. Some DSM can be very limiting with a small throat area, but it just calls for imagination....I have 9 inches of throat space and do all my own quilting, even up to huge king size. Go to Leah Day's website and watch her FMQ....she is an absolute master at what she does. Her videos gave me ideas for quilting and I couldn't wait to try them out. Don't get discouraged when your fmq doesn't look professional, it takes lots and lots of practice. Something else to think about is maybe taking a class in fmq. My LQS gives classes once in a while.
Very good advice indeed! I also do all my quilting without a longarm. I did buy a used HQ Sixteen sitdown model a year and a half ago, but MUCH prefer the fine control I have using my DSM for FMQ! 99% of the time, the HQ Sixteen sits on a shelf covered in plastic; I've only used it for a couple of quilts. I even tried out some longarms at a quilt show last fall and decided I really don't even want one. I've done queen/king size quilts on my DSM and have been VERY happy with the results.

Last edited by azwendyg; 03-14-2013 at 07:14 AM.