View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM
GayleM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
I have tried these blankets over and over again and I still can't get the Connors right . Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.
The Missouri Star Quilt instructions call for a 30" sq. and a 40" sq. piece of flannel. You sew right-sides tog., matching raw edges in a 1/4" seam, from the center of each side (@ 15" for the 30" sq. and @ 20" for the 40" sq.) to 1/4" from the end. It is important not to sew further than the 1/4" and to sew from the center - which means you will have eight 1/4" seams instead of four. Remember to leave an opening so you can turn it right-side-out when you're done. To make the mitered corners, I folded the 30" sq. inside the 40" sq. from one corner diagonally across the blanket to the other corner so the raw edges of the 40" fabric met where they extended off one corner; laid the corner flat and put a 90 degree triangle (or anything that has a square corner) snuggly against the sewn seam; drew a straight line on the 40" fabric to its folded edge (it should look like the line is an extension of one of the existing seam lines); pin. Don't drop the needle into either existing raw-edge seam, but sew on the line from the V-corner to the folded edge of the 40" fabric. Trim to 1/4". THE FIRST TIME BEFORE SEWING, pin closely along the line and turn that corner right-side-out to make sure you have the correct angle. It looks weird the first time you do it, but turns out really cute!

BTW - I also found you can use a 30" sq. and a 36" sq. for this and it also turns out quite well. Happy Sewing!

Last edited by GayleM; 03-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.