View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I just went to my goodwill this morning. Ours must just be higher priced than everybody else's. $4 for a shirt. $4.50 for a belt and $1.50 for men's ties. They don't do bag days very often either. I just want this stuff for crafting; I can't imagine if I needed to purchase there for everyday wearing. But back to your question if I use a shirt I always save the buttons. I have a button addiction even if they are the plain white ones! New buttons can be pricey!
Our Goodwill charges a lot more than that! They never have bag days that I know of. They must think we're in fat city down here! I started a lap quilt using shirts from other sources such as garage sales. A 2XX shirt has a lot of fabric in it, and Bonnie Hunter is inspiring, but it's quite a lot of work cutting them down, compared to just using yard goods. I save the buttons, but never have a use for them. I'll donate a big jar of them sometime.

More recently I saw a suggestion somewhere to use the fronts of big shirts to make the back of pillow covers that can be attached using the buttons. Just cut it to your square or rectangle with the buttons fastened and lined up near the middle. It would be a very cute and easy way of doing a pillow, and it could be the front of the pillow if you like the look.