Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
hudgoddess

Default DS's 11th Armored Cavalry Division Quilt - 2 Brother's quilts to follow

DS helped design this quilt. His idea to mirror the border color with the crest color. Red over white means 'Death before Dishonor'. The motto of the 11th Armored Cavalry div. It's all camo on the back. He calls the back side his 'Cloak of Invisibility'. Love it! I quilted the outline of the crest into all of the red diamonds and just SITD on the rest. The channel stitching in the borders took forever, but I really like it, and it fanned out perfectly in the corners! And check out the bottom right corner. I took a velcro name tape off an old hat and put it on the quilt-very official!

I took the crest off the Army website, turned it into a transparency at Kinko's, blew it up on my overhead projector and made it into a huge appliqué. Sounds hard, but it really was easy-just fusible appliqué and satin stitch around the whole thing.

Now I have to find the new Army Multi-cam for 2 more quilts. Both younger brothers are in the Army now. We have one in the 101st Airborne-that Screaming Eagle crest is BAD! And another in the 10th Mountain Div. They'll have the same basic design, different crests and colors.

Everyone gets their own unique quilt, but you'll be able to tell the quilts are brothers!
Attached Thumbnails brians-quilt.jpg   horse-crest.jpg   quilting.jpg   name-tape.jpg