View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
KathieS

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
I have a 6500 and (sorry) have no problem FMQ with it.

I use my darning/FM foot, drop the feed dogs (but have tried it with the feed dogs up, with no problem) and I use a top stitch needle. Also I do a practice run (warm up, to get in the rhythm), before I work on the quilt.

It really is a balance of getting the needle at a 'certain' speed and your hands (moving the quilt) at another speed (slower). The needle going faster then the movement of the quilt. Have you ever tried to pat your head and rub your tummy? Hard to do for some and easy for others. Also taking the weight of the quilt so that it is not pulling/dragging the quilt. I have put my ironing board to my left to hold the weight.

My guess for the broken needles ~ quilt dragging, trying to move the quilt to fast, thread catching or being pulled.

Hope you find the 'sweet spot' of FMQ.
You may be right - maybe I am trying to move the quilt too fast as I am new to FMQ. I was using an all purpose needle (#14) and am now trying a denim weight (#16). Could the needle size be the problem ? Where do you set your upper tension (thread tension) ? And yes, I am using a darning foot. Thanks for your reply !